Italy Exchanges: The 4 Best Exchanges to Use in Italy
Italy Exchanges are on the rise. It has, at times, been tricky for cryptocurrencies exchanges to become accepted by the European Union, and Italy is no exception. Indeed, Italy has outright banned some cryptocurrency exchanges to the point where, if you live in Italy, you cannot access some crypto exchange websites unless you use a VPN. Admittedly, that makes buying Bitcoin more of a challenge for Italian traders, even on a Bitcoin exchange, but don’t despair. We have the answers.
Thankfully, it’s not all doom and gloom. Italian crypto traders and investors have access to some of the best Bitcoin exchanges and crypto exchanges globally. There is no reason you cannot buy Bitcoin in Italy or any of the tokens you wish to purchase. Celebrazione!
We know how important it is to register with the best Italy exchanges, so we developed a time-tested ranking methodology, researching every crypto trading on the market. We rejected most exchanges because they failed our strict testing process, but we ended up with some of the best exchanges in Italy for skilled traders and crypto beginners.
Our selection process identifies the best exchanges with a good reputation, reasonable exchange fees, good trading volume, and reliable payment methods. If you want to buy Bitcoin in Italy and avoid losing money to a dodgy crypto site, you can choose from one of our four winning cryptocurrency exchanges.
Today, we have four winners for reputable exchanges in Italy. So, if you are eager to discover the best trading platform for you to buy Bitcoin or sell Bitcoin or explore the vast range of tokens to add to your crypto assets, let’s get started.
Italy Exchanges: Ranking Methodology
- Italy friendly*: Of course, a suitable exchange must be Pro-Italian so you can buy Bitcoin in Italy if you wish
- Exchange and Broker: A multifunctional cryptocurrency exchange to buy and sell Bitcoin in Italy. You may wish to purchase other tokens and ideally use your debit card
- Reputation: Secure, reputable, and trustworthy with proven platform stability to reduce market risk. Low exchange commission rates is a bonus
Diving Deeper Into Our Winners
As Bitcoin exchanges grew in popularity in Italy, crypto traders looked for the best Bitcoin exchange. As the cryptocurrency market expanded, having a Bitcoin wallet was no longer enough. Bitcoin exchanges had to evolve to offer alternative tokens to their users.
- Top security – Gemini stores most assets in a cold storage system
- Free hot wallet storage with insurance cover for fraudulent activity
- Two-factor authentication (2FA)
- 80+ cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin
- Exceptional cyber-security
- “ActiveTrader” platform for experienced traders, with lower fees and instant trading
- SOC 1 Type 2 and SOC 2 Type 2 qualifications
- 24/7 customer support
- Institutional and individual investor support
- Payment methods – Deposit and withdraw with fiat currency (wire transfer) or crypto. No bank transfers
- Cryptopedia – free cryptocurrency education
- Gemini Mobile App – trading fees from $0.99 for $10.00 to a fixed 1.49% for over $200
- Convenience fee – 0.5% of market price per trade
- Transaction fee – 1.49% for smaller orders but a percentage fee for larger orders
- “Gemini Earn” – 7.4% APY from staking or lending cryptocurrency
- Simple verification process – a copy of a valid government ID
There are multiple thousands of tokens available to buy today, and the Bitcoin price is out of reach for most investors and traders. As prices rocketed, buying Bitcoin became less attractive for traders in EU countries and across the globe. Exchanges had to think on their feet and put forward an attractive proposition for the masses of new crypto enthusiasts emerging into the crypto world and offer a few payment methods other than using Bitcoin.
The Gemini exchange may not have the most extensive list of cryptocurrencies, but you can buy Bitcoin today on the platform at a reasonable exchange rate. You might not be buying Bitcoins right now. Perhaps you want to buy and sell cryptocurrencies or start fiat trading.
Gemini is a popular exchange for several reasons:
- A wide range of trading options for Bitcoin or other tokens in Italy
- The “ActiveTrader” platform offers lower fees for skilled traders, plus real-time market data and fast transactions
- The “Gemini Earn” program can earn up to 7.4% APY – unbeatable rates in most financial markets. Imagine making 7.4% on your Bitcoin holdings
- “Gemini Custody” – a free cold storage wallet with a low fee of 0.4%
- Free exchange (hot wallet) – some crypto traders and investors prefer easy access to an online wallet
Suppose you’re a crypto beginner. Sign up with Gemini to benefit from the “Gemini Earn” program. Forget about Bitcoin wallets and opt-in for the “Gemini Custody” as cold storage is safer than an exchange wallet. It might be too late to buy Bitcoins at today’s inflated price, but you can start building a crypto portfolio on Gemini and earn as you acquire coins.
If you are a skilled crypto trader, you will enjoy the plethora of tools available with the “Active Trader” platform.
Why is Coinbase best for beginners residing in Italy? Well, for a start, it’s easy to navigate for newbies. As you may already know, some crypto exchanges have baffling and complicated interfaces and are unsuitable for beginners in the crypto space.
- Payment methods – instant purchase with a debit card or credit card
- 50+ listed cryptocurrencies
- Coinbase’s has offline storage for the majority of digital assets
- Two-step verification (2FA)
- Coinbase’s mobile App – download to iOS and Android to buy Bitcoin or trade with your mobile device
- Beginner-friendly – the trading platform is super easy for instant purchases
- Free USD wallet and hosted cryptocurrency wallet service
- Zero fees for transferring from one Coinbase wallet to another (Coinbase Pro)
- Insurance covers your holdings in the event of a cyberattack
- Coinbase card – zero fees for spending USDC, but a flat 2.49% fee for purchases made with other cryptocurrencies
- Withdrawals – verify your bank details for bank transfers
- Good trading volume
- Fiat currency trading
The primary benefits of Coinbase
- Bank transfer – for “real-money” withdrawals
- Easy bank account verification – After your bank deposits $2 into the Coinbase bank account, you can withdraw your funds
- Fast bank transfer – Many Italian traders report same day transfer
- Selling bitcoin and altcoins is easy – Navigate to the “Sell” tab and sell Bitcoins or other tokens as you wish at the best selling price available
- Buy crypto – with your bank card/ debit card
- Access to Coinbase Pro – use the exact login details as Coinbase. Coinbase Pro has a broader range of trading tools
- Competitive fees – from 1.5% to 4.5% – more fees may apply
- Transparency – fees easily found on the Coinbase platform
Coinbase has industry respect and is the well-deserved winner of “Best for beginners.” You can sign up for a free account to explore the user-friendly platform. It’s easy to buy Bitcoin or altcoins from Italy. You can add and verify your bank account, buy or trade tokens or Bitcoin and organize a bank transfer for your profits when you’re ready.
Kucoin supports 50+ fiat currencies, a pleasant anomaly for most crypto exchanges. The platform has 600+ cryptocurrencies listed.
- Helpful FAQ page – everything you need to know about Kucoin
- “Kucoin Earn” – You can earn 8 – 12% from lending your Bitcoin or other tokens as well as from staking your coins
- Competitive trading fees – transparent on the website
- User-friendly interface – find your way around Kucoin easily
- 600+ listed tokens and great Bitcoin liquidity
- $2+ billion daily trading volume
- 10 million investors worldwide
- Kucoin mobile app
- 24/7 customer service
- Zero restrictions between fiat and crypto on the exchange
- Industry-leading support for fiat currencies with 50+ listed
- “Kucoin Earn” – earn interest from staking or lending your coins
- Competitive trading and withdrawal fees
- Bank-level asset security
- Non-custodial trading
- Reasonable fees: Trading fees 0.1% : Maker fee 0.020% : Taker fee 0.060% : Settlement fee 0.025%
- Zero deposit fees
- All fees are transparent on the Kucoin website
- Kucoin has a native token $KCS
- Simple interface for beginners
- Margin trading available
- Payment methods are limited
The “Kucoin Earn” program is popular in Italy, especially when Kucoin runs promotions offering 30-40% APY for staking your coins for a few days or months. If you are lending Bitcoin or altcoins, you have the added security of Kucoin’s margin insurance covering the loan in case of default.
One niggling downside to Kucoin is the limitation on payment methods and no bank transfers. You can’t buy tokens or Bitcoin directly unless you do so with third-party apps like Google Pay and Apple Pay.
Coin Clarity’s Sleeper Pick
Kraken has been around since the beginning of the crypto explosion. It may not have the widest range of coins, (around 110+) but you can buy the leading crypto like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other established coins. Kraken has “real-money” currencies and reasonable fees. For most cryptocurrencies it’s 1.5% and 0.9% for stablecoins.
- 110+ coins, including Bitcoin and Ethereum
- Fiat currencies
- Reasonable fees
- Advanced trading features
- Good security – two-factor authentication (2FA)
- 24/7 customer service
- Easy-to-use interface
- Two trading platforms – Kraken and Kraken Pro
- Purchase cryptocurrencies with a debit/credit card (intermediate & Pro level)
- Payment method – Online bank transfer. Deposit Euros using SEPA or SWIFT
- Security feature to lock your account if you fear a breach
- Quick and easy to open an account – less than 15 minutes
- No minimum deposits
- Fully regulated crypto exchange
- High levels of security
- Easy and intuitive for beginners
- The minimum transaction is €10.
- Kraken mobile app available on iOS and Android
The simple Kraken interface makes it suitable for beginners, and Kraken Pro is better for skilled traders with its advanced trading features, such as margin. The exchange has good security with 2FA and the option to lock your account if you suspect a breach. You can stake your coins on the platform and earn interest and, if there’s an issue, 24/7 support is available.
Kraken has established a good reputation and offers most services to Italian clients, but consider the following minor exceptions listed on the Kraken website: –
- Clients living in Italy cannot use off-chain staking
- Futures trading is restricted
In conclusion, you really can’t go wrong with any of these exchanges. Generally, Italy has been slow to adopt the cryptocurrency trend but it’s gaining traction. We recommend jumping in when you feel the timing is right — there’s something for everyone here.